Guterres raises Red Flag over US military action in Venezuela
United Nations/Washington, Jan 3: The United Nations has expressed grave concern over the United States’ military operation in Venezuela that led to the capture of President Nicolás Maduro, warning that the action sets a “dangerous precedent” and could destabilise the region.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “deeply alarmed” by the operation, which involved US forces striking targets in Caracas and detaining Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. His spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, said the Secretary-General was worried about the “potential worrying implications for the region” and stressed the need for full respect for international law, including the UN Charter. Guterres called for an inclusive dialogue in Venezuela, grounded in human rights and the rule of law.
.@antonioguterres deeply alarmed by escalation in Venezuela, culminating with US military action today.
He’s concerned that international law hasn’t been respected.
He calls on all actors in Venezuela to engage in inclusive dialogue, in respect of human rights & rule of law.
— United Nations (@UN) January 3, 2026
According to US officials, the early-morning operation capped months of military buildup. Elite US Delta forces reportedly attacked an army base before apprehending Maduro and his wife, who were then transported by helicopter to a US warship and are being taken to New York to face federal charges, including narco-terrorism. US President Donald Trump confirmed the capture, saying the couple had been “flown out” of Venezuela and claiming the operation made America safer. Maduro was first indicted by US prosecutors in 2020 on drug trafficking-related charges.
The strikes triggered explosions across Caracas around 2 a.m. local time, causing panic among residents. Venezuelan authorities declared a national emergency, reported temporary power and telecommunications disruptions, and accused Washington of “extremely serious military aggression” aimed at seizing the country’s strategic resources. The US Embassy in Bogota issued a Level 4 “Do Not Travel” advisory, urging all Americans in Venezuela to leave immediately.
In Washington, the operation has sharply divided US lawmakers. Republicans largely praised President Trump’s decision, framing the capture as a decisive blow against drug trafficking and terrorism. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Tom Cotton said advance notification to Congress was unnecessary, comparing the operation to a law enforcement arrest. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Brian Mast and Senator Lindsey Graham hailed the move as a step toward justice and freedom for Venezuela.

Democrats, however, condemned the action as unconstitutional and illegal, arguing that Congress was bypassed. Several lawmakers warned the strike risks dragging the United States into another conflict and damaging its global reputation. They also accused administration officials of misleading Congress about intentions in Venezuela.
As international scrutiny grows, the episode has intensified debate over the legality, consequences and long-term impact of the US intervention, with the UN cautioning that adherence to international law remains essential amid escalating tensions in the region. (Edited)
