Bru people of Kanchanpur under North Tripura yet again triggered tension in the region for allegedly not following the health protocols, An inquiry had been commissioned
Enewstime Desk
Agartala, April 19, 2020: The Bru people of Kanchanpur under North Tripura yet again triggered tension in the region for allegedly not following the health protocols, local source said.
Altogether 35 identified refugees who had recently visited COVID-19 hit Mizoram had refused to be lodged in to institutional quarantine. The health department finally resolved to put them on home quarantine with strict surveillance in action, said a highly placed health official of North Tripura district. The state government also commissioned an inquiry in this regard.
Sources in Kanchanpur said that altogether 35 refugees of Naisingpara refugee camp were identified by the health department who crossed over to Tripura only recently. ”In last few days a number of Bru refugees entered Tripura through Sabwal area of Mizoram. As far as primary investigation is concerned, they have gone there for some work. Soon after they have been indentified they are taken to institutional quarantine at a local community hall” sources said.
But, the problem emerged when the refugees denied to stay in institutional quarantine. “Yesterday, the Bru refugees refused to stay at the quarantine. Following the problem, we shifted them to their houses and sealed off their activities. Now, all of them are in home quarantine”, said a highly placed health department source of North Tripura district.
On the contrary, some of the local sources informed this reporter that the refugees broke their quarantine and came out citing that they had no symptoms of being infected to the Novel coronavirus. And, then the health officials resolved to put them on home quarantine.
Health Secretary Debasish Basu, reacting on the issue, said that an inquiry had been commissioned and the state COVID response committee was waiting to get the detailed report.

“We have initiated an inquiry. The report is still to reach us. As soon as we get the detailed report we will make it public before media followed by further administrative steps”, Basu told this reporter over phone.
The incident, however, triggered tension all throughout the area. Nagarika Surakha Mancha which remained vocal opposing the Bru settlement in Tripura, however, demanded strict actions against the violation.
“We will give a deputation to the SDM Kanchanpur seeking strict action against the errant refugees. The restrictions of home quarantine can’t be followed in refugee camps due to its dense population. The act of the refugees must be treated strictly as they have exposed the entire region to this deadly contagion” said Diptendu Nath General Secretary of Nagarik Surkasha Mancha.
#NorthEast