Dr Zairemthiama Pachuau of Mizo Convention said strike was suspended temporarily. No Bru Reangs would be given settlement in Kanchanpur and near Jampui Hill
Enewstime Desk
Agartala, February 25, 2020: After a series of meetings with the District Administration, Indefinite dawn-to-dusk strike slated to begin from Wednesday in Kanchanpur sub-division under North Tripura District was ‘temporarily suspended’. The strike was called by a joint movement body comprising Youth wing of local Nagarik Surakhsha Manch and five Mizo NGOs.
Diptanu Nath general secretary of Nagarik Suraksha Manch and Dr Zairemthiama Pachuau, general secretary of Mizo Convention categorically said that the strike had been suspended temporarily.
Three-point Charter of demands
The joint movement body called dawn-to-dusk indefinite strike in Kanchanpur in support of three-point demands pertaining to rehabilitation of displaced Bengalis and Mizos and opposing settlement of Bru Reangs who took refugees in relief camps in Kanchanpur from Mizoram after violent ethnic clashes in 1997.
After violence on December 10 during Anti-CAB movement, Nagarik Surakhsha Manch came forward and alleged that Bru refugees were involved in violence, vandalism and arson during the agitation. Since then the Manch was fighting for 11-point demand list – however, as most of these demands come under jurisdiction of the Central Government or require law formulation, Manch leaders along with the local Mizo organization zeroed in on three point demand list and called strike.
The charter of demand included that no Bru Reangs would be given settlement in Kanchanpur sub-division and in areas close to Jampui Hills, immediate resumption of relief and compensation to 93 Bengali families who are staying in Anandabazar PS since mid-December last and thirdly, rehabilitation package for displaced Bengalis and Mizos.
Also Read | Kanchanpur: Indefinite strike from Feb 26 by Bengalis, Mizos
Nath and Dr Pachuau said, even as the district administration is not authorized to agree with our demands and give us written assurance, DM of North Ravel H Kumar verbally assured to look into demands.
Meetings with Administration
Nath claimed that Government had planned to settle 1950 families of Bru Reangs in Kanchanpur sub-division which the joint movement body vehemently opposed. The District Administration noted opposition and assured to take step to meet the demand.
Moreover, the administration also assured resumption providing relief to 93 Bengali families staying in a makeshift camp at Anandabazar PS. The administration would also take steps for paying compensation package to these families.
Relating to rehabilitation package of displaced Bengalis and Mizos since after 1997, the administration said that it would take time to make a call on this issue – however, the administration would look into this matter.
“All these are commitments – we hope that the administration would be able to honour its commitment. Otherwise, we would resume our agitations”, Dr Pachuau said.