Three ultras of a new group of banned NLFT surrendered before BSF. The group is involved in extorting money from villagers under code name “White Elephant”
Enewstime Desk
Agartala, February 18, 2020 : Three ultras of banned NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) surrendered and laid down arms before 164 Battalion of Border Security Forces (BSF) at Udaipur today. The BSF have found several documents and ammunition from their possession, sources in the BSF said.
NLFT surrender
The surrendered insurgents were identified as Sannakumar Tripura, 29, Jarmaram Tripura, 27, residents of Choto Shakbari village in South Tripura and Sudharam Reang of Ashapara which falls in the North Tripura district.
They surrendered at Amritpara in Gomati district and laid down two .38 caliber pistols and 528 live rounds of .38 bullets, reads a BSF press release.
A BSF officer said, three ultras of banned NLFT came from across the border in Bangladesh, where they were active under a new group of the outlawed outfit.
“Some of the NLFT militants, who have been operating under a new group these days, expressed interests to surrender recently. We have encouraged them to do so. We hope the rest of the others will be also soon brought back to the normal like”, the BSF sources said.
According to sources, a self-claimed leader of NLFT known as Parimal Debbarma is leading the group, after Sabir Debbarma alias D. Yamrok surrendered last year. The group have already tried to influence some parts of the state and extort money from the villagers under the code name “White Elephant”, sources told this reporter.
Violence by NLFT
As per Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) records, NLFT was alone responsible for several violent activities including 317 insurgency incidents in which 28 security forces and 62 civilians lost their lives in between 2005-2015. Peace talks with NLFT begun in 2015 and there had been no violence reported by NLFT since 2016.
Earlier on January 02 this year, three NLFT ultras were arrested at Dhalai and North Tripura districts in a joint operation. Reportedly, the banned organization also called to boycott Tripura MP Rebati Tripura for his stance on the CAA.