October 26,2017: The government has moved the Supreme Court against the Calcutta High Court order staying Centre’s decision to withdraw security forces from Darjeeling and Kalimpong in West Bengal. The counsel for the central government said, the High Court is trespassing on the executive’s turf by interfering with its decision on deployment of armed forces to maintain national security and territorial integrity.
He said, the situation in Darjeeling had improved compared to July when the order on deployment of paramilitary contingents had been passed by the High court. The counsel also said, the Centre needs to deploy forces in the poll-bound states of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh. He added that some forces need to be deployed along the borders of Jammu and Kashmir and in the north-eastern states.
The apex court agreed to hear the Centre’s plea and listed the matter for tomorrow. (AIR NEWS)