June 22, 2018: The Chief Minister Biplab Deb informed media today that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had accepted cases relating to murders of two reporters- Sudip Datta Bhowmik and Santanu Bhowmik.
Addressing a news conference at his office, Deb said, “CBI will now investigate both the murder cases. And, notifications have already been published in this regard by the authority concerned. The CBI probe, I believe, will ensure justice to the families of two slain reporters.”
The Chief Minister also recalled the 171-day long protest of state’s media fraternity in demand of CBI probe into the sensational murders of two reporters.
The protest was launched by Tripura Journalists’ Rights Protection Forum (TJRPF) with slogan — “No CBI, No Rest”.
Though, the journalists raised the demand several times, the previous state government denied handing over the two murder cases to CBI and formed Special Investigation Team (SIT). The journalists fraternity was, however, neither impressed nor convinced and they kept on pressing the demand for CBI. The BJP in its election manifesto also included the issue.
“The BJP-led government kept the poll assurance mentioned in the vision document handing over the case to CBI,” Deb said. The Chief Minister also thanked the CBI for accepting the case and assured of ensuring a fear-free environment for the journalists.
Replying to a question on the commencement of CBI investigation, Deb said, “We did our duty. Now it’s up to CBI. However, the state government is ready to extend full cooperation to the investigating agency.”
The Law minister Ratanlal Nath was also present the press meet.
He said, “The BJP-IPFT government believes that the democracy will face threat if journalists’ safety is not ensured by the government.
With this view, the state government as per the poll promises handed over the two cases to CBI so that the two bereaved families get justice.
Meanwhile, the entire media fraternity extended gratitude to the Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb for initiating CBI probe into the two sensational murders.
Sudip Datta Bhowmik and Santanu Bhowmik were killed within a span of 61 days.
The young journo Shantanu Bhowmik was hacked to death by miscreants during a political clash at Mandwai on September 20 last year while the senior crime reporter Sudip Datta Bhowmik was shot dead inside the 2nd-Bn TSR headquarters at R.K. Nagar on November 21.
In Sudip murder case, the SIT arrested altogether four accused persons- Tapan Debbarma (main accused) and his accomplices- Nandugopal Debbarma and Dharmendra Singh and Amit Debbarma.
Besides, six persons- Sachin Debbarma, Bikash Debbarma, Swapan Debbarma, Shyamal Debbarma, Rakesh Debbarma and Jiten Debbarma were also arrested by the SIT for their alleged involvement in the brutal murder of young scribe Santanu Bhowmik.