Iran Protest – Another regime toppling unrest ?
Washington, Jan 11: Is there another regime toppling on cards like in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal in recent times? Is it now the turn of Iran’s existing regime to face wrath of its own people? Amidst all these, US Media reported widening the Iran Protests.
US President Donald Trump on Saturday said America was prepared to extend assistance to the people of Iran, issuing the remark through social media at a time when American media outlets reported widening protests, heightened security restrictions, and an almost complete shutdown of internet services across the country.
In a social media post, Trump stated that Iran was witnessing an unprecedented moment in its quest for freedom and asserted that the United States was ready to offer support.
A few hours later, he followed up with another post referring to a protest outside Iran, noting that a demonstrator had climbed the Iranian Embassy in London, removed the current regime’s flag, and replaced it with a symbol associated with the pre-revolution era.
US newspapers and television channels reported that Trump’s statements came amid ongoing demonstrations in several parts of Iran. According to these reports, protests persisted despite stringent curbs on communication networks.
Video clips circulated by Persian-language broadcasters operating outside Iran showed gatherings in multiple cities, although the scale and details could not be independently verified because of the communications blackout.
Fox News reported that Iranian authorities had drastically curtailed internet access nationwide. Citing digital monitoring organisations and analysts, the channel said connectivity levels had plunged to minimal levels.
The shutdown, according to the report, disrupted essential services and severely restricted the ability of citizens to communicate with one another and with the outside world.
The same reports indicated that demonstrators were demanding sweeping political reforms. In certain locations, protesters were seen displaying emblems linked to Iran’s former monarchy.
US media outlets, quoting human rights organisations, said arrests had been made and fatalities reported as security forces intervened to disperse protests in multiple cities.
The New York Times reported that Trump had recently received briefings on fresh military strike options targeting Iran, as he weighs acting on earlier warnings to retaliate against the Iranian government for its handling of the protests.
Trump’s later social media post drew attention to the London embassy incident, which received significant coverage in the US media.
Fox News said a protester climbed onto the balcony of Iran’s embassy, removed the Islamic Republic flag, and hoisted a pre-revolutionary Iranian emblem, describing the act as part of solidarity demonstrations by Iranians living overseas.
According to the report, the individual scaled the embassy building in the Kensington area before switching the flag, after which police arrived at the scene.

The incident, Fox News added, coincided with growing international attention on the unrest inside Iran.
The Washington Post reported that demonstrations within Iran continued despite stern warnings from senior leadership.
The newspaper said Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei told the nation that the authorities would not retreat in the face of what he termed acts of vandalism.
It also reported that state television urged citizens to remain indoors and suggested that those injured should not raise complaints.
Trump had earlier cautioned Iran against the killing of protesters, while other senior US officials publicly voiced support for the demonstrations and commended what they described as the bravery of the Iranian people. (Edited by Enewstime Desk)
