Leaders representing surrendered NLFT and ATTF members have announced a 72-hour statewide shutdown in Tripura from September 4.
They alleged that the government has failed to implement key commitments related to their rehabilitation and financial package.
Key Takeaways:
- Surrendered NLFT and ATTF leaders have called a 72-hour statewide shutdown from September 4, 2026.
- The groups allege that key rehabilitation and financial commitments under the September 4, 2024 agreement remain unfulfilled.
- The leaders also warned of road blockades and further action if the government does not address their demands.
Leaders representing surrendered NLFT and ATTF members have announced a 72-hour statewide shutdown in Tripura from September 4, alleging that the government has failed to implement key commitments related to their rehabilitation and financial package.
The announcement came during a press conference at Agartala Press Club on Friday. The leaders said the shutdown will begin on September 4 and continue for 72 hours. They also announced plans to block several important roads if their demands remain unresolved.
The proposed action comes nearly two years after an agreement was signed in Delhi on September 4, 2024. The surrendered groups claim that several provisions of the agreement have not yet been implemented.
Statewide Shutdown Plan
The leaders said the three groups have jointly decided to launch the agitation after repeated assurances from the government failed to produce the expected results.
They said the September 4 shutdown will affect roads, markets and vehicle movement across the state. The groups also plan to stage blockades at key locations.
These include Churaibari, the Assam-Agartala road and the Akhaura Road connecting Tripura with the India-Bangladesh border.
NLFT leaders Parimal Debbarma and Prasenjit Debbarma were among those present at the press conference. Other representatives of surrendered NLFT and ATTF members also attended.
The leaders said they had earlier raised similar demands through protests and blockades. They pointed to a major agitation held on June 12, 2026, when roads and railway routes were blocked over the pending issues.
Leaders Cite Unfulfilled 2024 Agreement
One of the leaders said representatives of three groups were signatories to the agreement reached in Delhi in September 2024.
He said the groups expected the agreement to provide a framework for their rehabilitation after surrendering their arms.
However, according to the leader, several commitments have not been implemented even as the second anniversary of the agreement approaches.
โWe surrendered our arms because we wanted to lead a normal life,โ he said. He added that the government should implement the commitments made under the agreement.
The leader also alleged that the surrendered members had been repeatedly given assurances without seeing the promised results.
June Blockade Followed by Government Assurances
The leaders recalled the June 12 blockade as a key turning point in the latest phase of the dispute.
They said government representatives met them during the agitation and urged them to withdraw the blockade. The leaders claimed that the Tribal Welfare Minister and the IGP assured them that their demands would be addressed.
According to the leaders, they were told that some issues would be resolved within two days and the remaining demands would be considered within a week.
Another leader said the group also met Chief Minister Dr Manik Saha on June 17. Issues concerning surrendered cadres, pending cases and other matters linked to implementation of the agreement were discussed, he said.
The leaders, however, said they remain dissatisfied with the progress.
Rehabilitation and Financial Package at Centre of Dispute
The surrendered groups have been demanding implementation of the rehabilitation package and financial benefits linked to their surrender agreement.
They also raised issues involving surrendered cadres and pending cases.
The leaders said they had accepted the surrender process in the expectation that the commitments would help them return to normal civilian life.
They argued that continued delays have created frustration among former insurgents who surrendered their weapons under the government-led process.

The groups now want the government and concerned departments to clearly state what steps have been taken to implement the agreement.
Leaders Warn of Further Action
The leaders said the September 4 shutdown will remain in force for 72 hours unless a solution emerges.
They warned that further decisions could follow if the government or concerned departments fail to engage with them during the agitation.
The groups said they do not want prolonged confrontation with the government. They claimed that they had surrendered their weapons to leave their previous life behind and live as ordinary citizens.
The leaders also recalled the surrender ceremony at the 7th Battalion headquarters in Sepahijala in 2024. They saidย Chief Minister Dr Manik Saha had personally received the surrendered members and their weapons at the time.
The latest announcement has therefore placed the implementation of the 2024 agreement at the centre of a fresh confrontation between the surrendered groups and the state government.
If the proposed shutdown goes ahead as announced, road and market activity across Tripura could be affected from September 4. The leaders have also indicated that major road blockades will form part of the agitation.
